Mark Your Calendars: March 2nd Is NEA’s Read Across America Day
Read Across America is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on or near March 2, the birthday of beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss. Across the country, thousands of schools, libraries, and community centers participate by bringing together kids, teens, and books, and you can too!
Read Across America also provides OEA members, parents, caregivers, and children the resources and activities they need to keep reading on the calendar 365 days a year, to motivate children to read and generate new enthusiasm for reading.
“You’re Never Too Old, Too Wacky, Too Wild, To Pick Up A Book And Read With A Child.”
NEA’s 2014 Cat-A-Van Reading Tour Stopped In Ohio
NEA’s 2014 Cat-a-Van tour travelled 4,000 miles across the country — bringing with it a celebration of reading to students at 30 schools— and give away books, posters, and other goodies all across the reading tour route. The Cat-a-Van stopped in Pickerington and Hilliard, Ohio on March 6 and in Springfield Local and Akron, Ohio on March 7. The tour began Monday, February 24 in Texas and concluded Friday, March 14 in Mississippi, along the way making stops in 18 cities across nine states.
Everything You Need To Plan And Promote Your Seussational Reading Event.
Planning your Event
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Create a Reading Event
- Activity Booklet
- 11 Seuss-gestions for a Great Event
- More Activity Ideas
- Seuss-Inspired Recipes
- Official Cat in the Hat Logo and Usage Guidelines
- NEA’s Read Across America Usage and Logo Guidelines
- Read Across Downloadables: Calendars, Posters, Certificates and More
- Seuss Store — The Cat-a-log
- Read Across America Song
- Read Across America Oath
- Read Across America Poem
- NEA’s Declaration of Reading Independence
- Explore the Many Hats of Dr. Seuss
- Hats Off to Reading Educators Guide
- Partners and Supporters
Getting Noticed by the Media
- Media Tips for a Read Across America Event
- Sample Media Workplan
- Sample Media Advisory
- Sample Letters to the Editor
- Sample Letters to a Local Newspaper
- Sample Op-Ed Piece
- Sample “Save the Date” Announcement